Asbestos is a natural occurring mineral that was utilized for its distinct properties. It has very prominent heat resistance, tensile strength and insulating attributes that made it a no brainer for its commercial use in homes and properties alike. It is typically used as a sheet of cloth and combined with a concrete mixture sort of like combining fiberglass mesh and epoxy resin. If was converted into a commercial grade product and was deemed so useful it was mandated that every branch of the military exploit it as a resource. It proved to be a very strong and reliable material, the only draw back is that it's highly toxic. Today it's best known for being a lead contributor for causing Mesothelioma; which is a cancer that attacks the thin protective layers of tissue of the lungs and abdomen. This has led to the material being banned in over 50 countries (Not the U.S.) and restricted in even more.
Where Would It Be Found In the Home?
Many houses that were around before the 1980's contain traces of asbestos materials. The mineral is found in tiles ranging from floor to ceilings, any form of insulation including the walls and ceilings and around structures like the furnace or boilers .
~ INSULATION AROUND FURNACES, BOILERS, A/C DUCTS, PLUMBING PIPES, FIREPLACES, EVEN THE JOINT SEALER FOR PIECES OF SHEETROCK
~ ROOF SHINGLES | ROOF TILES | CEILING TILES | FLOOR TILES | HOUSE SIDING | FLASHING |
What To Do If Asbestos Is Found In Your Home?
If You see traces symbolic of Asbestos in your home, or want to find out if your home is clear or not, you should contact a company that specializes in Asbestos Testing and Mitigation. Asbestos only becomes a health hazard to inhabitants when it is mobilized and airborne. Its sort of like a disease, when it is dormant and still it really doesn't affect the human body. But for instance, when a house is remodeled and sheetrock is torn down and replaced or basically disturbed in any way or old tile is ripped out and replaced, the Asbestos mineral becomes airborne and is easily ingested without warning which is when it can be fatally harmful. So don't take a chance, if you suspect that your home may be infected with this carcinogen have it tested just for a safety measure.